Organic Eating: A Grocery List For Beginners
Organic food isn’t just a type of food category but actually is a way of living one’s life, which is entirely in sync with Mother Nature and our human body. Our body was never built to consume poison, manmade chemical albeit in smaller quantities only. Food is only as good as it is grown and hence organic, natural, chemical free food is not a fad but a necessity which we human need to understand.
There are different types of food, depending on what one is looking for in terms of taste, eating likings, habits and nutrition aspects. So vegetables, green leafy or otherwise, fruits, pulses, rice, spices, millets etc
Usually, the journey for anyone converting from a chemical laden food to an organic food eater begin with converting the vegetables and fruit first as these are the most eaten food category by any family. But one needs to understand that today there is hardly any food category which is devoid of chemicals or which is grown without the aid of harmful pesticides, insecticides and other damaging, artificial growth promoters. All these substances are harmful for human body and is causing slow poisoning without we getting to know. So, when we move our kitchens and food habits onto Organic, the transition has to be of entire groceries as well.
Here is the beginners list of Organic groceries which are now easily available in India:
- Organic Breakfast cereals: Let’s begin with the morning routine and we can look at organic muesli, organic cereal flakes, organic Poha, organic Barley daliya (porridge), organic Oats daliya (porridge), organic Wheat daliya (porridge), Organic corn flakes etc. These are also available in various millet varities which are even more nutritious.
- Organic Pulses: Pulses form a major category in our protein intake, especially for vegetarians. There are at-least 15 plus varieties of organic pulses Their nutrition value is much higher and taste much better as compared to the conventionally grown pulses.
- Rice: India is a major rice grower and also a consumer which Rice being staple diet for lot of Indian. Lot of work has happened in organic rice space and you can now get Organic White Rice, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Red Rice and even organic Black rice from north east states of India.
- Flours: Rotisor breads are another of the staple food items for Indians and they loving making roties from different types of grains. Organic wheat, Organic Ragi, Organic Bajra, Organic Makki and lot of Gluten free versions of flours are now available which are very popular with the organic food eaters. Mutli grain flours comprising of different flours is also getting popular with nutrition and health buffs in the country.
- Sweeteners: Indianfoodis incomplete without the presence of sweeteners used in food preparation or used as a desert with main course. Organic Gud, Organic Jaggery powder, Organic Brown Sugar, Organic White sugar, Organic Honey is popular amongst the organic food eating community. Organic jaggery is not only made using chemical free sugarcane but it doesn’t use sulphur like conventional jaggery.
- Cooking Oils: Cold pressed cooking oils is another popular category as the taste, fragrance and nutrition value of cold pressed, organic cooking oils is amazing. Various options exist and are available like organic mustard oil, organic peanut oil, organic sunflower oil, and organic coconut oil.
- Spices: Spices form an integral part of Indian cooking – they are not only added for taste, flavour but also for the medicinal value that they possess. India is one of the largest growers of organic spices like Turmeric, Cumin, Azwain, Red Chilly, Heeng, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Bay Leaf, Coriander amongst others.
- Health Snacks: There is a growing trend towards healthy munching so now they are lot of options to get roasted namkeens, millets-based pastas, cookies etc made using organic ingredients. Infact value added products is the fastest growing category amongst Organic food in India.
The latest trend is to have bakery items also made using organically grown and healthy ingredients.
So, with whole lot of options in Organic groceries, now a family can convert their entire kitchen needs onto chemical free options, devoid of any kind of preservatives.
Deepak Sabharwal, is a MBA turned organic farmer who did hands on organic farming for 5 years before setting up Earthy Tales which mentors organic farmers and help build market linkages for them.