The coconut burfi recipe is easy and simple to prepare, yet some tips, suggestions and recommendations for it. firstly, and importantly, i used desiccated coconut, as i was not having an access to fresh one. if you do, i would always recommend to use it in the first place. also, even if you are using the fresh one, you can still use warm milk too. secondly, i have not added any dry fruits in this recipe and followed the strict traditional recipe. but you can top it with chopped cashews, almonds and walnuts while shaping it. lastly, the recipe easily lasts for weeks if stored in a dry air container.
- 3 cup coconut, grated
- 2 cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp cream, optional
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder / elachi powder
- firstly, take 3 cup freshly grated coconut into large kadai.
- add 2 cup sugar and ½ cup milk.
- mix well on medium flame until sugar dissolves completely.
- keep stirring till the mixture starts to thicken. (takes approx. 10 minutes)
- now add 2 tbsp cream.
- continue to cook on medium flame stirring continuously.
- the mixture starts to thicken after 20 minutes.
- and after 25 minutes, coconut mixture will start to separate from pan.
- continue to cook until the mixture starts to hold the shape.
- now add ¼ tsp cardamom powder and mix well.
- transfer the prepared dough into a greased plate lined with baking paper.
- set well forming a block.
- allow to set for 10 minute, or till it sets completely yet warm.
- now unmould and cut into pieces.
- finally, serve coconut burfi / nariyal barfi or store in airtight container for a week in refrigerator.